MX

IUPAC Name: 4-chloro-3-(dichloromethyl)-2-hydroxy-2H-furan-5-one

Source: Forms as a byproduct of using chlorine to disinfect water.

Summary: MX (Mutagen X) is an organic compound that exists as a contaminant in water. It is not commercially produced. It is formed as a byproduct of using chlorine for disinfection in water treatment. The chlorine reacts with humic acids or organic matter within the water to form MX. The compound is soluble in water up to 5,602 mg/L at 25 C. A Koc value of 98 indicates high mobility within soil that may cause leaching to groundwater. Hydrolysis and photolysis are expected to be major fate processes within water.

GHS Hazard Statement: H301, H310, H351, H370, GHS06, GHS08